TLDR: Copper puts teen investor needs first to make sure their portfolio matches their goals.
Since every investment involves a degree of risk, we want Copper investors to feel confident in their investment portfolio. This questionnaire helps us understand teen investors, their current financials, and their appetite for risk so we can pair them with the most suitable portfolio for their investing goals.
How does it work?
Our questionnaire touches on multiple aspects of financial persona to make sure their portfolio matches their goals—including age, income, net worth, investment objectives, and investment horizon. By learning about them and their financial ambitions, Copper simplifies the process of understanding your teen’s willingness and ability to take risks.
What does it use to match portfolios?
Your teen is a complex individual, and Copper’s research-backed methodology takes that into account! The questionnaire evaluates multiple dimensions of your teen. Some of the primary factors used to discover their investment comfort zone include:
- Age: This influences risk capacity, given their objective stage in life as well as potential investment time horizon and future income stream(s).
- Income: Although teens may or may not have a consistent paycheck, more income typically allows for greater capacity of risk-taking (and vice versa).
- Net worth: Though our research indicates that most teen investors have minimal assets, greater net worth typically allows for greater capacity of risk-taking (and vice versa).
- Investment objective: A teen’s preference for maximizing potential investment gains versus attempting to minimize losses influences their capacity to take on risk.
- Investment horizon: A longer time horizon for investments typically allows for greater capacity of risk-taking as opposed to a shorter one that typically allows for less capacity for risk.
After we analyze your teen’s questionnaire responses, Copper instantly pairs them with a portfolio within their investment comfort zone. Learn more about how Copper Investing portfolios are built here.
As the parent (and account owner), you can review your teen’s recommended portfolio in the app to ensure it matches your family’s investment preferences.
If you see anything you need changed, please reach out to us by logging into the app, navigating to Support chat, and entering “teen portfolio assignment.”